Saturday, June 21, 2008

getting on your own nerves

so a few years ago while sitting around laudy some of us were wrestling with this worlds greater issues... when one of my dear friends said, "ahh i am getting on my own nerves." that is when i realized that the great feeling of frustration that wells up within myself when all i have done is think about myself is really just me "getting on my own nerves."

so this morning i was reading a little Oswald Chambers when i came across this entry on redemption... i think he does an outstanding job of putting words around this and within the greater context of scripture. simply put... i am redeemed and therefore i am taken care of so it is not necessary for me to keep my focus on myself.

well anyways... the past two days have been full to the hilt of me, my, i, mine and i have definitely reached the point of "getting on my own nerves." i may have missed the mark here in the details of interpretation ... but here is how he said it...

Launch out in reckless, unrestrained belief that the redemption is complete. Then don’t worry anymore about yourself, but begin to do as Jesus Christ has said, in essence, "Pray for the friend who comes to you at midnight, pray for the saints of God, and pray for all men." Pray with the realization that you are perfect only in Christ Jesus, not on the basis of this argument: "Oh, Lord, I have done my best; please hear me now."

How long is it going to take God to free us from the unhealthy habit of thinking only about ourselves? We must get to the point of being sick to death of ourselves, until there is no longer any surprise at anything God might tell us about ourselves. We cannot reach and understand the depths of our own meagerness. There is only one place where we are right with God, and that is in Christ Jesus. Once we are there, we have to pour out our lives for all we are worth in this ministry of the inner life.


- Oswald Chambers

definitely easier said than done... but what a great freedom!

No comments: